Dan’s stutter emerged when he was four years old. Before then, his speech was fluent. Over 90 percent of speech impediments dissolve by the age of 18, the remaining 10 percent worsen over time. Dan, now 22, finds himself in the latter 10 percent.
Radio receiver science can be explained as follows:
The air carries sounds. With no interference on our part, sound oscillates, a set of waves moving up and down and around corners and occasionally through walls, intersecting and destroying and amplifying other waves as it goes.
How in an elected body of 20 college students can you get a Finance Representative who isn’t pressured to resign until two and a months after signing away $4,500 dollars in student activities fee funds without seeking permission, a Vice President of Finance who is unconstitutionally off campus for more than one block of the year and a president who gives $20,000 to the Butler Center as a “gift to the community,” despite never being asked to do so by any Butler Center representative, all without any vote from the student body?
If you answered this brainteaser with “The 2014-2015 Colorado College Student Government Association (CCSGA) Executive Council,” you’re correct.
I am sitting with a rare specimen on a Saturday afternoon—Coll Junior Tompson (CJ), a first-year Las Vegas native. We are perusing the Buzzfeed list “28 Signs You Grew Up in Las Vegas,” which CJ claims he’s never read. After a few halfhearted chuckles at jokes about rain in the Mojave Desert and stripper schools, we stop scrolling at #20:
20. You were taught all the words to “Home Means Nevada” in elementary school and could probably recite the whole thing right now.
Heat rises. That must be why everyone looks up in a crowded subway, but in vain, trying to escape the inescapable.
Hopefully it’s obvious that I’m not actually writing an article about drawers and toys, but rather one about girls who don’t exactly like boys, men ogling at the root word of women, kids and adults trying to figure it all out. This article is about those people who live in that separate bin.
In nature, animal fathers get a bad rap. You’ve probably heard the story about the grizzly bear that ate his own cub or the guppy that swallowed his fry only moments after its birth. If you searched for examples of deadbeat dads, you’d find a wealth of information: the assassin bug devours his young like caviar and the power-hungry lion makes the perfect evil stepfather. But while the good animal dads may be few and far between, these seven examples offer a variety of unusual and admirable parenting techniques.
We were friends for at least a decade, which is a long time for a 21-year-old to know someone at that level of intimacy. To the doctors who performed surgery in order to remove you this summer, you were known as hallux abducto valgus—but to me, you were simply known as the bunion on the side of my left big toe. And yet, you were so much more than that.
Your Nalgene (I’m safely assuming you have a Nalgene or Camelbak) is, as you know, made of plastic. But beyond that one word, you likely don’t know what your water bottle is made of. In one sense, your Nalgene’s journey begins about 160 million years ago, when countless microscopic plankton died and fell to the seafloor.